Work Permit / Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Title Header Image for EAD Work Permits

Table of Contents

A Work Permit, officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), is a government-issued credential that provides individuals with the lawful right to work in the United States for a specified duration. It is a vital component of the immigration process, benefiting various categories of nonimmigrant visa holders, refugees, asylum seekers, and certain spouses of U.S. citizens and green card holders.

In this page, we embark on a thorough assessment of Work Permits, shedding light on their significance, and the invaluable immigration services offered by Ochoa & Hill Law Group in Houston, Texas. Our objective goes beyond navigating procedural aspects; we are committed to providing extensive insights into Work Permit eligibility, the requisite forms, and the essential supporting documents necessary for a successful application process.

Understanding Work Permits and Employment Authorization Documents (EADs)

A Work Permit, also known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), holds a central role for individuals seeking employment opportunities within the United States. This government-issued document signifies their legal right to work for a specified period in the country. It caters to a diverse range of individuals, including nonimmigrant visa holders, refugees, asylum seekers, and specific spouses of U.S. citizens and green card holders.

Who Qualifies for a Work Permit or EAD?

Work permits are typically granted to individuals with specific immigration statuses that permit them to engage in temporary employment in the United States. Eligible categories include, but are not limited to:

  • Individuals with pending asylum applications seeking refuge and protection in the United States.
  • Recipients of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) who were brought to the U.S. as children and have become contributing members of society.
  • Certain students holding F-1 visas, allowing them to participate in practical training, enhancing their educational experience.
  • Spouses of particular employment-based visa holders, contributing to family support while residing in the United States.

Requisite Forms and Supporting Documentation for Work Permits and EADs

Commencing the journey to obtain a Work Permit (EAD) involves the completion of Form I-765, the Application for Employment Authorization, as the primary form. In addition to this crucial document, applicants must submit a range of supporting materials to establish their eligibility, which may include:

  • Documentation validating current immigration status, affirming authorization to seek employment in the United States.
  • Passport photos meeting specific requirements for accuracy and identity verification.
  • Fees as mandated, guaranteeing the processing of the application.

It’s important to note that specific documentation requirements can vary based on the applicant’s immigration category. Ochoa & Hill Law Group, headquartered in Houston, Texas, is your dedicated partner, committed to guiding you through the Work Permit and EAD application process with expert legal counsel. We understand the intricacies of immigration law and are devoted to helping individuals secure their legal rights to work in the United States. Whether you are seeking refuge, DACA protection, practical training, or family support through employment, we are here to assist you on your journey to obtain employment rights. Contact us today or give us a call at (713) 984-4823 to schedule a consultation. Hablamos español!

Get Started

Schedule Your Consultation Today

"*" indicates required fields

Ready to Begin Your Immigration Journey?

Schedule Your Consultation with Ochoa & Hill Law Group or
Give Us a Call at (713) 984-4823 to Discuss Your Immigration Case Together.